Domestic Violence and the Islamic Tradition (OUP)
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Islamic Legal Studies: A Critical Historiography", Oxford Handbook of Islamic Law, Eds. Ahmed, Rumee, Anver Emon. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017) 1-40
- “Interrogating the “Shari’a” Excuse: Religious Reasoning, International law and the Struggle for Gender Equality in the Middle East” in Empowering Women After the Arab Spring, eds. Marway Shalaby and Valentine M. Moghadam (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016) 21-44
- “The Islamic Case Against Domestic Violence: A Guidebook for Scholars and Leaders” for the Canadian Council for Muslim Women. Ahmed, R. and Chaudhry, A. (2016). (Translated into French.)
- “Guardianship of Women in Islamic and Jewish Legal Texts”, Islamic and Jewish Legal Reasoning: Encountering our Legal Other. Ed. Anver M. Emon (Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2016)(co-authored with Rachel Adler) 25-60
- “Policing Women: Virginity Checkers and the Sotah Ordeal as Sites of Women’s Agency”, Islamic and Jewish Legal Reasoning: Encountering our Legal Other. Ed. Anver M. Emon (Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2016) (co-authored with Shari Golberg) 113-154
- “Lexical Definitions of Nushūz in Qur’anic Exegesis: A Comparative Analysis of Marital Discord in Q. 4:34 and Q. 4:128” in The Meaning of the Word: Lexicology and Tafsir Volume in the Qur’anic Studies Series (Oxford: Oxford University Press and Institute of Ismaili Studies, 2015) 385-419.
- “Producing Gender Egalitarian Islamic Law: A Case-Study of Guardianship (Wilāya) in Prophetic Practice” in Men in Charge? Rethinking Male Authority in Muslim Legal Tradition, Eds. Ziba Mir-Hosseini, Mulki Al-Sharmani and Jana Rumminger (London: Oneworld Press, 2015) 76-93. (Translated in Arabic.)
- “Domestic Violence and Idealized Cosmologies” in Qur’an in Conversation Ed. Michael Birkel (Waco: Baylor University Press, 2014) 161-72.
- “I wanted one thing and God wanted another…”: The Dilemma of the Prophetic Example and the Qur’anic Injunction On Wife-Beating”, Journal of Religious Ethics, 39 (3) (2011) 416-39
- “The Ethics of Marital Discipline in Pre-Modern Qur’anic Exegesis”, Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics, 30 (2) (2010) 123-30.
- “Unlikely Motherhood in the Qur’ān: Oncofertility as Devotion” in Oncofertility: Reflections from the Humanities and Social Sciences. Eds. T. K. Woodfuff, L. Zoloth, L. Campo-Engelstein and S Rodriguez. (New York: Springer, 2010) 287-94.
- “Women Reading Texts on Marriage", co-Authored with Rachel Muers and Randi Rashkover. Feminist Theology, 17 (2) (2009) 191-209.
- “The Problems of Conscience and Hermeneutics: A Survey of Contemporary Approaches”, Journal for Comparative Islamic Studies, 2 (2) (2006) 157-70.
- “Malala Yousufzai”, Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World, Ed. Richard C. Martin. 2nd ed. Vol. 1 (Farmington Hills, MI: Gale, 2016) 1264
- “Women” (core entry), The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought. Edited by Gerhard Bowering, Associate Editors: Patricia Crone, Wadad Kadi, Devin J. Stewart, Muhammad Qasim Zaman, Assistant Editor: Mahan Mirza (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2012) 595-99.
- “Yemen” for Encyclopedia Britannica Book of the Year 2006, 07, 08.
- “Naming Violence: Qur’ān Interpretation between Social Justice and Cultural Relativism”, Sexual Violence and Sacred Texts, ed. Amy Kalmanofsky (New York: Feminist Studies in Religion, 2017, in press)
- “Understanding Islam through the Gender Debate”, Oxford Islamic Studies On-line, August 2018
- “Women’s Hermeneutic Approaches to the Qur’ān”, The Routledge Companion to the Qur’an (New York: Routledge, 2018)
- “Domestic Violence in Tafsir”, Religion Compass (Wiley Blackwell, 2018)